Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turnip & Leek Soup

In flavor and more importantly (to me) the appearance of leeks can transform whatever you include them in. I personally associate leeks to their usual partner in soup, potatoes! I would like to attempt making this sometime soon, hmmm. However, I didn't have any potatoes and was more in the mood for a simple, less processed soup.

I threw all the ingredients together and think it turned out well. I would use less lemon salt next time.

1/2 tsp olive oil
1 medium clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 carton No-Chicken Broth
1 turnip
5 button mushrooms
2 leeks
1 cup whole wheat pasta
1 pinch lemon salt
1 smidge turmeric (for color)
black pepper (to your liking)

1. Brown garlic, add broth and salt.
2. Add turnips, let them cook for about 5 minutes before adding the leeks.
3. Add pasta, in a separate pan quickly sauté a handful of leeks and mushrooms.
4. Combine all ingredients, serve when pasta is done.



How can anyone live without garlic?

 

I used 2 pinches and wish I had not.
The soup had more lemon flavoring than I had hoped for.



My father would be disappointed to have missed out on these.



 Reminds me of this.



Oh dear mushrooms, I have grown to like you.
I will assume this is because you are not out of a can.



The slight browning is just what I wanted! Beautiful!



One bowl for me.



One bowl for my sister.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! You know how much I love soup, esp. made with that No Chicken Broth (how do they make it so delicious?!). The lemon salt is such an interesting ingredient, but I can see how you'd want to be careful with it. Still, it sounds like it would be so good in soup! I want a bowl of that right now. You should also include Aman's reactions to the food, I'm always curious how she liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely divine! A good bowl of soup is just the best food there is.

    ReplyDelete